Communication Studies - Associate in Arts for Transfer
Communication Studies is the study of human communication. It includes public speaking, argumentation and persuasion, and interpersonal, intercultural, and small group communication. The importance of communication awareness, training, and skills are essential for successful and fulfilling personal, professional, and academic relationships and activities. Communication skills, theory, and practice are useful in any career including: education, business management, communication management, journalism, law enforcement, mass media and media arts, political science, public policy and administration, social work, public relations, advertising, broadcasting, technology, and finance.
Students who complete the AA-T in Communication Studies must have the following:
- Completion of 60 CSU transferable semester units
- A minimum of at least 2.0 GPA in CSU transferable courses (note that a higher GPA may be required in some institutions)
- Completion of at least 18 units in the major with a grade of “C” or better
- Certified completion of the CSU General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) requirements, or completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements
Please Note: No more than 60 semester units are required for this degree and no additional requirements will be imposed by Evergreen Valley College.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Express and convey message clearly for effective oral communication.
- Demonstrate effective listening skills to comprehend spoken messages, analyze information critically, and consider multiple perspectives.
- Participate in the civic life of their communities through public address and civic engagement, and advocate for positive change.
- Articulate the importance of diversity, differing belief and value systems, as well as individual opinions.
- Apply interpersonal skills to create and maintain successful and beneficial social and civic relationships.
- Describe communication technology and its impact on human communication practices.
|COMS 020||Oral Communication (Required Core)||3|
|List A: Select two of the following:||6|
|Introduction to Argumentation|
|Small Group Communication|
|List B: Select two of the following:||6|
Any course from List A not already taken
|Introduction to Communication Studies|
|Mass Media and Communications|
|List C: Select one of the following:||3|
Any course from List A or B not already taken
|Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology|
|Introduction to Sociology|
|General Electives (as needed to reach 60 units)||6-18|
|CSU GE-B or IGETC for CSU 1||37-39|
Some GE courses may be double-counted within the major and will reduce the number of units. General electives may be needed to reach 60 units. Please consult with a counselor to determine which courses are applicable.