English - Associate in Arts for Transfer
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer degree is designed to prepare students to seamlessly transfer into the California State University (CSU) system and complete a baccalaureate degree in English or similar field of study. A baccalaureate degree in English cultivates strong reading, writing, analytical, and creative skills. It provides a sound foundation for students seeking careers in advertising, communication, film writing, electronic and print journalism, library science, public relations, publishing and editing, law, or teaching.
Students who complete the AA-T in English must have the following:
- Completion of 60 CSU transferable semester units
- A minimum of at least 2.0 GPA in CSU transferable courses (note that a higher GPA may be required in some institutions)
- Completion of at least 18 units in the major with a grade of “C” or better
- Certified completion of the CSU General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-Breadth) requirements, or completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements
Please Note: No more than 60 semester units are required for this degree and no additional requirements will be imposed by Evergreen Valley College.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of and familiarity with the methods of interpreting literature across genres.
- Assess, evaluate, and analyze ideas expressed in text or in spoken language.
- Express orally and in writing coherent arguments that evidence clear prose and synthesize and respond to diverse bodies of knowledge.
|ENGL 001B||English Composition||3|
|ENGL 001C||Critical Thinking/Composition||3|
|List A: Select two courses from the following:||6|
|Survey of American Literature I|
|Survey of American Literature II|
|Survey of English Literature I|
|Survey of English Literature II|
|Introduction to World Literature|
|List B: Select one course from the following:||3|
Any List A course not already taken
|Introduction to Poetry|
|Introduction to World Mythology|
|Fundamentals of Creative Writing|
|Introduction to Shakespeare|
|List C: Select one course from the following:||3-5|
Any course from list A or list B not already taken
|Gender in Literature|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 units)||10-18|
|CSU-GE or IGETC for CSU 1||37-39|
Some GE courses may be double-counted within the major and will reduce the number of units. General electives may be needed to reach 60 units. Please consult with a counselor to determine which courses are applicable.