Vietnamese Translation & Interpreting - Certificate of Achievement
This Certificate of Achievement program is designed to develop the translation and interpreting skills necessary for service as a Vietnamese-English interpreter in public and private sectors, such as the courts, law firms, medical organizations, state agencies, public schools, and businesses. This program is specifically designed to prepare students to pass the State of California Court Interpreter Certification Exam and the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters Exam. Students must complete each course with a grade of “C” or better.
- Students must be fluent in English and Vietnamese and have a speaking proficiency equivalent to that of a native speaker.
- Students are required to take a bilingual proficiency assessment.
- Students should have completed at least one term of college English.
- Students must submit a Translation & Interpreting application to the Language Arts Division Office.
- Students must attend an orientation.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of translation theory and practice, and apply skills learned to specific situations encountered in Vietnamese translation and interpreting field.
- Apply common techniques and strategies to gain advanced interpreting skills to improve accuracy and speed.
- Implement knowledge and skills learned to further prepare for legal and medical interpreting certification exams.
- Demonstrate an understanding of linguistic and cultural issues in translation and interpreting from English to Vietnamese, and vice versa.
|TI 041||Vietnamese Grammar for Translation & Interpreting||3|
|TI 042||Fundamentals for Vietnamese Translation & Interpreting||3|
|TI 043||Vietnamese/English Linguistic Analysis For Translation & Interpreting||3|
|TI 044||Vietnamese Sight Translation||3|
|TI 045A||Vietnamese Consecutive Interpreting 1||3|
|TI 045B||Vietnamese Consecutive Interpreting 2||3|
|TI 046A||Vietnamese Simultaneous Interpreting 1||3|
|TI 046B||Vietnamese Simultaneous Interpreting 2||3|