Dance – Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement in Dance is an opportunity for students to grow and develop in the area of Dance. The certificate includes a lecture class as well as various genres and levels of dance technique. Students will learn both Beginning and Intermediate skills of Modern, Jazz and Social (Ballroom) dance techniques. Focus will be on foundation, form, alignment, flexibility, technique, body awareness, phrasing, musicality, loco-motor patterns of movement, choreography and performance in each of the styles. Students will also learn about the background and history of Dance by taking Dance Appreciation. This Certificate will enhance the students knowledge in history while simultaneously giving practical experience and guidance to the dancer. The Dance Certificate of Achievement course of study recommends a basic level or foundation of modern and jazz dance technique prior to enrolling in the program. A grade of "C" or better in each course is required to receive the certificate.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate effective communication, behavior and teamwork necessary for artistic collaboration and group work within a population of varied backgrounds.
- Critically compare various dance genres on the basis of movement, historic context, and as an expression of self and culture.
- Apply proper posture, alignment, foundation, vocabulary, and performance quality to a variety of dance techniques.
- Create and perform original dance choreography using the principles of composition in class or for a live public performance.
- Demonstrate proper dance vocabulary and theatre etiquette as a student, performer or audience member.